Saturday 17 August 2024

A new look at old research

 

                                                                              A carman on a London street

I sent a message off to someone on Ancestry thinking I might get a reply. That came about due to a prompt from an email from My Heritage which I couldn't fully access because I currently don't have a subscription. As I had no access to the family trees referenced by the email, I thought the same people might have trees on Ancestry where I do have a subscription. Of course, the email was about a line unrelated to my gamekeeper research but I didn't expect a quick reply. I mean, sending messages on Ancestry is like consigning them to the ether.

The person I messaged replied within a day! They had questions and the clarification they were looking for was about a line I'd done extensive research on, the Arments. They were a family who showed up on many records in many cases because of their brushes with the law.

As I leafed through my Arment research to answer the questions I'd been asked, I looked at the information I had with new eyes. Given my recent foray into working with my DNA, perhaps there was a genetic research question I could tackle. There was also another story that I hadn't looked into further, that of the death of George Arment, who would have been my 3 x great uncle. He was a carman or carter who met his end by being crushed between two hogsheads of lager. That looks like it deserves a newspaper search!


 Images:

By Internet Archive Book Images - https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/14579853990/Source book page: https://archive.org/stream/wandererinlondon00luca/wandererinlondon00luca#page/n252/mode/1up, No restrictions, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=43453370


2 comments:

  1. Re-doing research often proves fruitful for me ... glad it worked for you 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, there is something about fresh eyes being able to see what you've missed.

      Delete