Saturday 29 July 2023

Revisiting old research

 

                                                                             On the research trail in Evershot, Dorset

It has been many years since I started researching my family's history. Along the way, I've amassed a lot of information. So much that I've forgotten much of what I have. That's probably because I'm good at gathering information but fall down on actually taking stock of what was reaped and how it fits into what I already know.

Along the way, I've also gathering information about all the children each couple in my family had. I just didn't add it to my family tree. At least, not the one on Ancestry. I think that the tree I had on Family Tree Maker might have included the siblings of my direct ancestors but I can't remember. The last time I was able to access that program was a couple of computer crashes ago. I still use the printouts I made of various pedigree charts but that is the only information I have left from Family Tree Maker.

What I've decided to do is to be thorough as I work through and update each family. That means I'm going to go through the information I already have and work on adding collaterals to the family names that have already received much of my attention. Like those ones where I've visited the places where they once lived. That way I will not only use the research I've already done and revisit the conclusions I came to about the family group but I'll also revisit my development as a family historian.

I learned so much during my years of research but that magic feeling of being on the spot where they lived will be wonderful to revisit. Like the trip to Evershot where my Chubb family lived. It's believed that they had some connection to the Acorn Inn which I'm standing outside in the above photo. It's a memory so old that the shot was taken before digital photography was the norm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment