Saturday 1 July 2023

Writing about military ancestors

 

                                               English Civil War reenactors on the grounds of Northampton University

Last Tuesday evening, my genealogy society, the BCGS, held its first Writers Group chat. There was a fair gathering of people in attendance and writing experience was varied. After introductions, there were two presentations. One member showed us her blog on which she posts about her ancestors, a way to organize her research, keep people informed and provide a legacy for future generations. The other talk was about "Veterans Book 2023", a publication that members of the society are putting together. It was a pitch to get more of us submitting information about our ancestral connections and the conflicts in which they had served, preferably not during World War I or II as they have been inundated with that information and want more variety.

I haven't looked at my records in depth yet but I know that I've already written about at least two if not more of my family connections who were involved in various conflicts around the world aside from those who fought in WWI and WWII. There was William McKay, a Royal Engineer, who participated in the Second Afghan Campaign and I know that early on I touched on the military career of George Welch whose regiment was sent to India at the time of the Indian Mutiny.

There were also ancestral connections who fought in America: on the American side for the American Revolution, the Union side in the US Civil War and the Canadian side in the War of 1812. I wonder what other conflicts my far flung family participated in. I have to see what I can find out. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I can find records that reach back to the English Civil War. I'm sure that some of my family were involved in that, they did live in Northamptonshire were many of the battles in that conflict were fought. 

No comments:

Post a Comment