Saturday 5 August 2023

Getting my family tree back in order

 

                                                                             My family history binders


At times I think I'm really slow at getting stuff done, especially when it involves my family history. But, sometime between dealing with fixing my travel ticket to my upcoming writers retreat as the airline had decided to nix one of the flights I'd booked and updating the list of all the deadlines and to do items necessary before I leave, I realized that I have so many things on my plate that it's a wonder anything gets done at all.

A case in point is using family tree software to enter my tree the right way instead of the slap dash method I employed before. I downloaded the Family Historian Trial which allows you to try out the software for a 30 day period. The user has the choice of downloading a GEDCOM file to Family Historian or entering individuals one at a time. I've decided on the one at a time method to finally get everything recorded the right way. Yesterday, I finally entered the first person in the tree, me. But, if I want to start as I mean to go on, I need to find the document to cite to verify the information I know off by heart.

I'm hoping data entry will be easier with more immediate relatives. But I think that things will get trickier as I go along. I'll need to pull information from my family history binders, the research logs I've kept from various trips, the photos of records on my phone and those unlabeled thumb drives with family data that I've brought home over the years. It looks like it will be something to chip away at over time which means I should probably buy the software before I invest too much time into it. But, exploring the software further, it has maps and timelines which makes me wonder if that means a person can be tracked over time and space through their life. That would be so cool, especially with my family who weren't known for staying in one place. That would take the timelines I've drawn up to the next level!

 

Sources:

Family Historian software https://www.family-historian.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment