Saturday, 5 September 2026

DNA update with an Australian slant

 


I haven't had much time to concentrate on finding a way to take Francis Cavanagh's story past his stint at Cockatoo Island which probably ended in 1858. No doubt there is a way to carry my research forward somehow but I have to find out what that is as I'm not that familiar with Australian research. Looks like it's time to watch some webinars and also find some written advice on how to find out about Australian ancestors.

In the meantime, I've made a list of my Ancestry DNA matches from the Southern Hemisphere. There are 35 of them that have put in a location. But there are probably more that haven't added their location to their Ancestry DNA. I know I haven't because the location where I currently reside is not where I was born or where I grew up and really isn't a location that has much to do with my family history.

I'm hoping that the matches who have declared a location on Ancestry DNA actually have some family connection to where they now live. Perhaps their family trees might give me some clues to follow that match with the convicts I've found records for so far, although in the case of Thomas Arment there were no children recorded as a result of his marriage. I'm also not sure that Francis Cavanagh would have been allowed to marry but you never know. We'll see what I can find out.


Sources:

Ancestry DNA matches by location


No comments:

Post a Comment