transported to Australia
So far, my research on Francis Cavannah/Cavanagh has basically filled in 20 years of his life, from his arrival in Australia on the Emma Eugenia to his assignment to Cockatoo Island in 1854 for a period of 4 years. Assuming that he made it to the end of that time period that would take him to 1858. Now I'm hunting around for information to take his story further. It's still a work in progress so there's nothing much to report at this time.
I did think that the information on the other transported criminal in my family might hold some clues as to how to find out more. Now that I've looked more closely at the information about Thomas Arment that was shared with me by another researcher, I find that Thomas Arment arrived in Australia in 1852. So a later date than Francis Cavannah. That meant Thomas's destination was Western Australia rather than New South Wales. It also means that the avenues of research to find out more about Francis will be different, as the information about Thomas Arment came from the Western Australian Genealogical Society Inc., Convict Special Interest Group. I wonder if there is something similar for New South Wales. Looks like I need to have a look to see what is available.

No comments:
Post a Comment