Saturday 29 June 2024

Attending an in-person genealogy conference

 

                        The Delta Hotel near the Toronto Airport was the site of the recent Ontario Ancestors conference

In these days of virtual conferences, it seemed strange and extravagant to be registering to show up in-person at this year's Ontario Ancestors conference. It was to be their first foray into the non-virtual world of conferencing post pandemic. In my case, not only would there be a hotel room to pay for but also airfare. Would being there rather than sitting in front of my own computer be worth the extra time and expense?

It was! There is something about being in the same room as fellow genealogists that can't be replicated. Not to mention the shared meals and the temptations of the marketplace. On one night there was also a Burns Dinner enactment in which some of us took part. Unfortunately there was no whisky in the classes we toasted with.

It was great to connect with new acquaintances and I was also surprised to find some familiar faces in the marketplace among the vendors. Some of the gals I knew from the Family History Writing Retreat which I attended last year were there as well as someone from BCGS who had taken the opportunity to explore connections in the general area before setting up her stall at the conference.

I enjoyed my time at the conference and learned much more than if I had stayed home and tuned in on my computer. Not only do I find I retain more when seeing things in-person but I also pick up things from the side conversations and chance encounters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment