Saturday 16 March 2024

Picturing social context part 2

 

                                                   An Upper Canada Village view my father painted after a visit there

My interest in history started when I was young. One frequent family outing was a trip to Upper Canada Village. It wasn't that far a drive from our home in the Montreal suburbs but it was a world away in time. I was charmed by the cozy homes and primitive industries and they also made excellent cheese, as I remember.

At the time, I didn't think that the village's version of history had anything to do with my own family background. After all, most of us were immigrants to Canada although my mother did have roots there. But she came from Winnipeg, so an historic village in Ontario would have nothing to do with her family, right?

That was before I started family history research, of course. My preliminary forays into my mother's family history showed that her Scottish ancestors had lived in Ontario before the push west to the Prairie Provinces. It was also before I discovered the family line that moved from New York State just after the American Revolution. After those discoveries, the streets and buildings of Upper Canada Village became a window on my own family's past. 

No comments:

Post a Comment