Saturday 21 January 2023

Delving into Dorset family links

 

                                                              Google Map image showing the County of Dorset

Life has been full of distractions lately, from writing groups get togethers to genealogy webinars to Wi-Fi problems and non-genealogy parts of life to look after too. I finally sat down the other day to start adding the collateral links to the Dorset part of my family tree. My plan was to start with my Chubb family but before doing that I decided to have a closer look at my DNA match's family tree on Ancestry.

When my match emailed me, she said that she couldn't find any common surnames in the lists of names on our family trees. By the time I looked recently, there was now a common surname, Maidment. That, of course, is surname I haven't been able to get much information on. It also was the maiden name of one of my more intriguing ancestors, Mary Rideout nee Maidment.

Mary spent much of her life in the small Dorset village of Ashmore where she married Thomas Rideout on April 25, 1833. They had several children together. Thomas died in 1842 and there was no record of Mary remarrying. However, her last child was born in 1845. As far as I can tell, Mary Rideout spent the rest of her life in Ashmore. Was the name of the child's father an open secret in the village?

I don't know the answer to that but it will be interesting to follow the Maidment line. Hopefully I will learn more about Mary and the family she was born into.

No comments:

Post a Comment