Saturday 18 September 2021

Research: lost or missing?

 

                                                                  War of 1812 monument on Parliament Hill


This week I was exchanging information with a fellow researcher. We're not looking in the same family lines but looking in the same area around the same time frame; early Ontario in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. At that time the area was known as Upper Canada. My suggestion to her was to look for family members in the muster rolls for the war of 1812. I can distinctly remember begin able to look up my Tripp family in a book that contained the names of the sons of the original settler who had taken up land in the township of Percy, county of Northumberland in 1797. When I later found out that Charles Tripp, the family's original settler in Canada, had fought for the patriots in the American Revolution, it seemed rather ironic that his sons fought for the Canadian side in the war of 1812.

Strangely, because I generally keep copies of everything, I don't have a copy of the muster roll. It's a reminder of my lack of organization when I first started family history research. Sometimes I thought I would just remember things or that they were too mundane to note down. But I still have scads of information, so I obviously thought some things were worth saving.

All of the documents and paperwork pertaining to my research need to be put in better order. A daunting task but one that I hear other genealogists are doing by scanning and digitizing everything. I haven't come up with a solution about my storage problem as I still use the binder system. Until I find another system that works for me, I'll still consult my family binders when furthering my research or writing my stories. In the meantime, I need to track down those 1812 muster lists. Maybe I don't need to find the book in the library as there appear to be lots of sources online. This time I'll remember to save the information I find!


Image:

War of 1812 monument on Parliament Hill By Jeangagnon - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0,  https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=51188874

No comments:

Post a Comment