Saturday 4 September 2021

Change and deadlines

 

                                                         There used to be a townhouse complex on this corner

This morning, I could feel the change in the air when I took my morning walk. There was a definite chill in the breeze and, when I headed east, the sun was low and shone in my eyes at a time that, in the height of summer, it would be a lot higher in the sky. Change is all around as people get ready for the school year to begin after Labour Day. It's a time that many look forward to, conditioned by years of new beginnings and the pristine potential of brand new school supplies.

My thoughts of change were probably echoes from the PoCo Genealogy Zoom meeting I attended last night. After a demonstration of how to use various DNA sites, the general chat took a turn to the challenges of record keeping and media changes and how to transfer data from one type of media to another. I'll have to get on that when I have some time to spare.

It doesn't look like that will be any time soon. I'm currently writing text for PoCo Heritage, converting the F Words story from the text on the graphic novel pages from the exhibit panels and comic book, to text for a digital exhibit which will eventually appear on https://www.digitalmuseums.ca/funded-projects/ as one of their community stories. There are many stories on the Digital Museums Canada website already, a rich resource for those doing Canadian research. Working on the text is interesting, reminding me of the story of Port Coquitlam's early years and how we portrayed them. The past will also be related to the present in the digital story text and it is interesting to see how we initially coped with the pandemic and how our responses and interactions have changed since then.

The deadline for writing the text for the digital story is tomorrow, after that I'll have two weeks to deal with the edits. While feeling the pressure from those deadlines, I've also been altered by one of my travel partners that it is probably time to book travel arrangements for our 2022 trip. It's an overseas trip we had planned for 2020, which we postponed to 2022. It seems that next summer is not too far away to start arranging bookings for, another change to wrap my head around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment