Saturday 24 April 2021

Taming the Jester

 

In ancient times the jester was a source of entertainment and a distraction from the humdrum of life. That was fine in a time when there was little enough to amuse and there was time to while away. These days there are so many distractions its hard to stay focused. It's even hard to know where that focus should be.

When I look around me, I can see binders and paper piles from projects begun but not finished. Much of it is detritus of things I will get to that magical day when I have free time. I haven't reached that mythical state yet. It doesn't appear that I will ever attain it.

Maybe I should make myself a schedule and follow it. That might help. But I know myself. I'd find ways to circumvent anything that smacks of regimentation. A case in point, today I sat down to write a newsletter article. But first I had to check my email. Then I remembered I hadn't signed up for an upcoming genealogy conference. A few hours later, I finally got down to writing that article. And whose to know, those hours of distraction may have helped because by the time I started writing I had an idea of what to write about. I hadn't had that when I first sat down.

Still, it would probably help to put things in better order. Maybe even figure out how to be better organized. I have a few books about being a better organized genealogist in my personal library. Maybe I should actually read one. After all, I appreciate the fact that I'm able to search my own library online because I catalogued it. Maybe I could do something similar with my genealogy research. Could be I'll find a way to tame that jester yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment