Saturday 10 April 2021

Lives touched by religion and crime

 

                                                             Dr Williams Library houses nonconformist records

I knew I was in trouble as soon as I read the first question on the exam. Tests based on multiple choice questions are generally held to be among the easier types of exams. There are some people who can make even those more benign tests diabolical. I was reminded of this when I took the test for the NIGS course on English non-conformity. I had taken tests from the author of the course before. As in those previous tests, I squeaked by this time as well but the final score was way below my average.

It's too bad, really because the course covered the material really well. I would recommend the course, but just beware the sting in the tail. Now I have more ideas about how and where to further research my dissenting ancestors. The non-conformists go back far in my family lines. This presents a challenge but those challenges can lead to some interesting stories.

It's sad in a way that the people who did what was expected leave fewer interesting tales to be told. It is the nonconformists, the criminals and those who followed their dreams who reward us with stories and catch our imaginations.

This was underlined in an event I saw recently at a festival put on by mystery writers. In one session the topic was true crime and how it inspired the authors to write both fiction and nonfiction stories based on real events. It reminded me of how crimes and misdeeds had touched my own life. I wonder if I can uncover similar incidents in my ancestor's lives and more stories to be told. 

No comments:

Post a Comment