Saturday 17 November 2018

Looking in London

Italian Garden, Hyde Park, London

London is a top vacation spot. The city teems with tourists most days of the year and there appears to be no off season. It offers much to see and do for people with many different interests. One of my favourite spots in the city is Hyde Park; a glimpse of country in a city of concrete and brick. Of course, there many other places to visit, like the theatres and museums and the British Library, to name a few.

What really strikes me about the city, however, are its layers. They are visible in the skyline, the London Eye and buildings like the Gherkin standing out against more aged facades. These modern new structures have been added on top of a cityscape that reaches far back into history. So far back that archeologists are called in before the digging starts to put up new structures because they never know what priceless pieces of the historical record will be buried at the site. 

A view of the London Eye, Boudicca's statue and tourists
 
My London ancestral hunt may not go as far back as those archeological treasures, at least to my current knowledge, but given the sheer volume of people and the patchiness of the records to be searched, it is not a hunt to be undertaken lightly. I need luck on my side as I work my way back through the history of my London ancestors. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment