Saturday 27 July 2024

Researching ancestral occupations: gamekeeper part 3

 

                                                                                         Image of a gamekeeper

My search for gamekeepers among the Maidments is proving a longer task than I anticipated. With the documents that I've accessed so far, it seems like my 3 x great grandfather Elias was the first in the family to become a gamekeeper and many of his sons took up the occupation too. He had quite a few sons, many of whom were born in different places. From the information I've seen so far, these sons also moved across England. I suppose that makes sense because gamekeepers were hired by large landed estates and there would only be so many of those around so any aspirants to the profession would have to go to where there were vacancies.

The son I've found the most varied information sources for so far is Jasper who was baptized in Enford, Wiltshire in 1814. When trawling through information on the National Archives, I came up with a catalogue entry of the Appointment of gamekeeper: Jasper Maidment held by the Nottinghamshire Archives. Strange, as none of the information I have on him so far has a connection to Nottinghamshire. Ancestry also pointed me towards his very informative gravestone which gives the date and location of death as well as naming his longtime employer, George Spofforth Lister. I hope to parlay that tidbit into more records about Jasper's employment. Fingers crossed for similar luck with my continued searches. I wonder what treasures I'll be able to discover about the other Maidments.


Sources:

Ancestry – Wiltshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1922 for Jasper Maidment

Find a Grave https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/135991997/jaspar-maidment

Images:

By Internet Archive Book Images -  https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/14593150360/Source book page: https://archive.org/stream/withnatureandcam00kear/withnatureandcam00kear#page/n350/mode/1up, No restrictions, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=43736289


No comments:

Post a Comment