Saturday 27 April 2024

Following family lines in and out of a Dorset village

 

                                                 Notes from one day's research into my Rideout/Maidment family line

I'm still working on filling in the collateral lines of one particular line of my family tree. That's the Rideout/Maidment line that I wrote about last time. The reason I'm concentrating on this particular branch of my family tree is because I'm using it as a means to learn more about what DNA can reveal about my family's past. I'm taking a course to help me figure out how to use genetic genealogy to expand my research into my family and some of the advice given for beginners in this endeavour is to have a bushy tree, one that includes collateral lines. With those extra twigs included it becomes easier to see connections with DNA matches.

Following the censuses every 10 years is a good way to find any children that have been born as well as the new couples that have formed their own families. A lot of the clan stayed around the area of Ashmore in Dorset but the ones that left often bounced around from place to place. It doesn't help that there is a huge gap in what is available between the 1911 English census and the 1939 England and Wales Register. The lines blacked out as official closed records on the latter aren't helpful for my quest either. Neither is the fact that one part of the family strayed into Scotland and then there is the 1921 census which still costs extra to view. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on that one, though. Searches on FindMyPast have hinted at matches in that census for the names I've entered and added lines that look like possible children as well. I'll let you know how my quest goes and if I succumb to the lure of possibilities in the 1921 census.   

No comments:

Post a Comment