Saturday 24 February 2024

Tips from genealogy magazines

 

                                                         Some of the many genealogy magazines I have collected

I have started to go through my stash, or should I say stashes, of genealogy magazines. There are a lot of them, many not even read. In the past, when I made an attempt to keep up with perusing the articles, I tagged the pages I wanted to get back to. Those were the pages with links to websites or other information of interest. It is only now when I look at the date of some of those publications that I worry that many of those links are out of date. Oh well, that's one way of seeing what stood the test of time.

Your Genealogy, March/April 2016, in an article on Scottish Research, mentioned two prime research sites, Genuki, which I knew about, and A Vision of Britain Through Time which rang a faint bell. I tested that site out by looking up Horkstow, Lincolnshire, where I knew my earliest known British ancestor had been born, but that probably wasn't the wisest choice, since the history on the site only goes back to 1801. However, it does offer links to other sites as well as information about historical places and writing.

The article was just one of many that I've tagged in my piles of genealogy magazines. I'm hoping to get through the stack of publications that I've already read before tackling all the other magazines that have piled up over the years. The "already read" heap is pretty daunting itself but I just have to remind myself that there could be treasurers in there to discover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment