Saturday 6 January 2024

Continuing my Revolutionary War records review

 

                                                         Tripp/Woodworth military and pension application papers

I've been sitting on the information from my 3 x great grandparents' pension application records for years now and I knew there was good stuff in there. At the time though, I was busy gathering information. Analysing what I had was always something I'd get to later. It probably wasn't the best approach.

After making notes from the pension records, I now have quite a few names to follow up on as you can see in the table below:


The Woodworth connection looks like the most interesting one to follow up on. Many of the documents made reference to Jane's father, Solomon Woodworth, who lost his life during the conflict, a fact that seems to have weighed in her favour when it came to the granting of her widow's pension.

I was able to access several stories on Ancestry about what happened to Solomon Woodworth. Some of the facts vary slightly but all paint him as a hero. Several mention his brother Selah, who also fought, another family connection who probably ties into some of the cousins mentioned in the table. Looks like my analysis has given me leads to further research, no doubt a reason why the analysis should have been done shortly after I had the pension records.


Sources:

Ancestry – U.S., Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Application Files, 1800-1900


No comments:

Post a Comment