Saturday 14 October 2023

Mining personal archives for treasure

 

                                                              A surprising find in a bag on my own closet shelf

Sometimes there are surprising finds amongst your own stuff. I don't know if that's especially true for women with purses that fall out of favour for one reason or another. My tendency is to put those old bags on a shelf and basically abandon them after only taking out the bare necessities. So, when I decided to clear some space to have room to store a new suitcase, I knew it was finally time to empty and discard some of the purses that had been gathering dust.

I had a vague idea of some of the contents, like a key to a bank box, although it wasn't in the purse I thought it was. There were other keys there, only I'm not sure what they open; maybe the desk drawer at my old office. They were a puzzle. Not so the dozens of pens nestled between wrapped sweets pulled from purse bottoms and who knew that leather-like wallets could turn sticky and reluctant to let go of the plastic cards once safely ensconced in those handy card slots. The disintegrating wallet tried to hold on to my citizenship card but I managed to pull it out eventually.

Besides that half remembered ID card which captured a time and memory, there were other treasures to be found. It appears that some of those handy carryalls must have come with me to seminars and on research trips. There were papers, some of which I still have to go through. But more strangely, I found a stash of microfiche. I don't remember acquiring the fiche but the receipt included in the envelope confirms that I did. The receipt was dated back in 2000, when researchers still looked at that kind of media regularly. There has been a lot of water under the bridge since then. If I ever looked through those fiche, I didn't make a note of it so I'll have to do it again. I wonder if my family history society still has a fiche reader? Better yet, what other treasures might be lurking on my own shelves? That's an incentive to start getting organized for sure. I just need to keep the momentum going!

No comments:

Post a Comment