Saturday 23 September 2023

Report on a family history writing retreat

 

                                                       My illustration of the presenter's family history story

It's strange to say but our research into the past to find out about our ancestors is constantly changing. The past may stay the same but our ways of accessing it continue to evolve. It pays to keep up with the latest trends so I'm constantly learning and seeking new opportunities for education. In my case, since I want to write about my ancestors that also means learning more about composing compelling narratives that are faithful to the historic facts.

I recently attended a Writers Retreat put on by Lynn Palermo of the Family History Writing Studio. There have been a few online writers retreats but this year two in-person events were to be held; one in Paris, Ontario and the other in Maple Ridge, BC. I attended the one in Ontario.

Over the last few years, I've been meeting up with my fellow writers at the studio by zoom. Seeing people I'd known as talking heads online was a bit odd at first but knowing each other even that little bit helped to break the ice. We learned a lot over the two days of instruction which made me rethink how I have been portraying the main character in my story. We didn't spend all of our time listening though. On the last day we were given the task to illustrate a story that Lynn had related from her own family's history. Let loose with paper and plenty of art supplies, I got in touch with my artistic side and fell in love with the watercolor brush pens I was using. I need some of those!

Aside from artistic endeavours, I learned a lot over the short time of the retreat and enjoyed meeting my fellow students in person. We spent time together but I also found time to explore the town of Paris. It was nice to have fellow writers to share meals and conversation with. And, as part of the entertainment, many of the fledgling writers shared excerpts from ongoing projects after our evening meals. There were a lot of interesting lives captured in their words, inspiration for the work I am creating about my own ancestor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment