Saturday 10 June 2023

Unexpected history finds on the road

 

                                                              One of the stones in the Nashville Pathway of History

It seemed like fun, a tour touching on the musical history of the South from Nashville to Memphis then ending up in New Orleans. I'm always interested in history, enjoy music and hadn't spent much time in the southern states except for a time my youth, but that's a tale for another time. I thought I wouldn't run across anything that I could use to add to my family's social history. In that, I was wrong.

Geography is not my strong suit, especially when it comes to the United States. There are just too many states to keep track of especially for someone who wasn't exposed to that information during school years. History I'm a little bit better with particularly when one of my family connections was involved.

I knew that my 2 x great uncle, Alexander Matheson, a Union soldier, fought at Shiloh and that the battle took place somewhere in the South. My connection between that battle and Tennessee didn't come until I saw it written in stone in the Nashville Pathway of History, a wall marking out the events through the years in Tennessee's history.

Between that wall marking out Tennessee history and an installation about the Civil War at a rest stop, I was able to gather more information for my family history, an unanticipated side benefit to a musical history tour. I never know what I'll find when I take my explorations on the road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment