Saturday 5 November 2022

In Remembrance

 


It's that time of year again when we honour those who have served in times of war. There are many veterans of war in my family. My focus this year is on my father who served in the RAF. The automatic assumption would be that he flew a plane, perhaps participated in the well-known Battle of Britain but he wasn't a flier. He did have a part in that theatre of war or at least the start of it. In the early days of WWII, he was one of the crew who supported the buildup of equipment and construction of airfields for the fighter squadrons in England. 

After that, he was transferred to the Far East. At least that was where the convoy was headed before it turned back to Bombay after Singapore fell. In India, he was promoted to RAF Intelligence, a role that supported the buildup of air operations in southern India and also the Burma Campaign. I've recently started to go through his military records and hope to find out more. Part of that research will include reading more about the war in that part of the world. One thing I do know is that the war in India and Burma lasted for months after VE day was celebrated back in England. But eventually the war in the Pacific came to an end. My father made it home and I will honour his memory this Remembrance Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment