Saturday 15 October 2022

Closed for 100 years

 


Recent genealogy news came out that Land Army records were now online. It was well known in my family that my mother's war time experience included time in the Land Army. Seeking further information, I found the update from the National Archives about the new release amongst my later unread emails. It's one of the many genealogy news sources I subscribe to and can be found at news@enews.nationalarchives.gov.uk I had to click on the button to find out more.

In one of my past visits to Kew, I remember finding my mum's index card for the Land Army. I recall that it was on one of my first visits to the National Archives. But it's always worth checking to see if I had missed anything, especially as I was fairly new to on the ground research at that time. According to the National Archives' article, the new digitized version would be searchable on Ancestry. So, I searched for my mother's name on the database. It wasn't there. I found that strange since I have a copy of one page of her land army record in my collection. Puzzled, I took the extra step of checking Ancestry's general information for the collection. There at the bottom of the page about the collection it stated that information for individuals less than 100 years old was excluded.

My mother would have been 100 by now if she had lived but just barely, as she was born in the early months of 1922. It looks like Ancestry applies the 100 year rule in yearly chunks. I checked Ancestry's collection of the 1939 England and Wales Register for my mum's listing. Sure enough, her name was not yet revealed. A check of Find My Past's collection of the 1939 Register revealed her name. It looks like Find My Past applies the 100 year rule differently, a fact for which I am grateful but it looks like I'll have a longer wait to see those Land Army records. 

No comments:

Post a Comment