Saturday 20 August 2022

Taming the magazine stacks

 

                                                                   Part of my genealogy magazine stash

I've always had a thing for magazines. Who could resist all those glossy covers at the newsstand promising glamour and hinting that they contained the secrets of how to live a life where you could have it all? I probably bought more than my fair share of lifestyle magazines. Then I discovered genealogy and found out there were magazines for that too.

Many of the family history magazines came from the US but even better were the British ones as they could have articles relevant to my search. My practice was to read each magazine from cover to cover folding down the corners of any pages of interest. My intention was to come back to those pages, make notes and add any web addresses to the bookmarks on my computer. I got hopelessly behind.

The problem was that, no matter how overwhelming the stacks waiting to be read became, those bright shiny magazines on the newsstand still enticed me with their promise of knowledge. I even thought that I might be able to write freelance for some of the magazines and had two articles published by Your Family History, a British magazine that is no longer published. The remuneration wasn't much, moreover my bank wanted a cut when they exchanged the pounds for dollars. It was a lot of effort for a slight return.

As time went on reading the magazines from cover to cover became more of an effort as well. Now I have glossy stacks of potential knowledge secreted in different places. It's time to do something about them. Who knows, as I go through the stacks I might find some gem that will take my research further. 

No comments:

Post a Comment