Saturday 30 April 2022

Getting reacquainted with in-person research

 


My long research weekend just passed was an eye opener in so many ways. It seems that I am out of practice. Who knew that the methods I had honed over so many long distance research trips would get rusty with disuse?

In the time leading up to our four day research retreat, I remembered that preparation was key and went through the BCGS library catalogue to see which books I would be able to access there. I also noted down a Scottish census film available on FamilySearch which I would be able to access there. The BCGS library has affiliate status with FamilySearch. I wrote up the book list and noted down the LDS film number and went on to other things.

Distracted as I was, the research weekend seemed way off but all of a sudden it was here. I grabbed my list and the netbook computer I usually take for research trips and I was off. Thankfully the route to the BCGS library was etched into my brain. I volunteered there for decades. My computer even recognized how to access Wi-Fi in the facility. It had other issues though. It seems that it isn't good to let a computer sit for over two years. The browser wouldn't update. I was able to access FamilySearch and Ancestry but not Find My Past which required a more up to date browser. On subsequent days I took in my other lap top. There were problems with it as well. Looks like I need new equipment before I embark on any more research trips.

The first day definitely showed I was out of practice. I even forgot to bring a notebook in which to jot down my discoveries. I'm a firm believer in one notebook per research trip. It's the system I use. It works well in the field. It would work better if I had a system for follow through once I got the information home! I need to work on that. 

In spite of all of my fumbles and forgetfulness, the weekend resulted in some gems. I found them in my notebook when I was looking for inspiration for this blog post. I have work to do with the information I brought home and, it seems, new computer equipment to buy. It was good to have a run through of my research practices before embarking on any research trip further away.

No comments:

Post a Comment