Saturday 26 March 2022

An Ontario search

 

                                                               The interior of an early Ontario church

I'm still on the trail of Margaret Clark, the Mrs. Angus Clark, daughter of Donald McPherson, named in Alexander Matheson's letters. As I checked through the Ontario records I hoped to find something to prove that Angus Clark's wife had been born Margaret McPherson but Ontario records before vital registration were hard to find.

As I checked the censuses, it was a boon to have an idea where Angus Clark and family had lived from the letters. I'm pretty confident that I now have copies of the correct family in censuses for 1861, 1871 and 1881. The first two census entries were for Puslinch, Wellington County and the 1881 census was for Kinloss in Bruce County. So far I've been unsuccessful in finding any entries for the prior or subsequent censuses.

In an effort to speed things up, I plugged the names of Margaret McPherson and Angus Clark into the search boxes on Ancestry to search for their marriage. Maybe, just maybe, they had married in Ontario. I came up with some results. No, the records I found weren't for the marriage of Angus and Margaret. Once vital registration began, the parents of the bride and groom were recorded. What I found were later wedding records for two of their daughters. Both daughters gave the names of their parents as Angus Clark and Margaret McPherson. I finally had documented proof that the Margaret I had searched for on the censuses was a McPherson. What's more, the marriage of Christina Clark on the 14th of January, 1885 took place in Kinloss and the marriage of Elizabeth Clark in 1898 happened in Owen Sound. The places in which the events took place mirrored the family moves given in Alex's letters. Now my search needs to take me back further to see if I can find a link between this Margaret Clark nee McPherson and Donald McPherson who Alex named as her father in his letter.


Sources:

Ancestry.ca searches for census and marriage information in Ontario  


No comments:

Post a Comment