Saturday 21 August 2021

Organizing my search

 

                                                               Some of the World War 2 books from my shelves


Doing the research and writing about my mother's Land Army experience was relatively easy as most of the information I had was already compiled. I also have a few books about the Land Army but when I actually read them, they were short and gave a general picture about what life would have been like for Land Girls. My mother's war story lent itself to being a self-contained narrative. The rest of my WWII research looks more daunting.

As you can see by the picture of the books up above, I have a few tomes to read through and those are just a sample of the WWII books on my shelves. I've been collecting books like these for ages with a view to reading them someday. Well, that someday has come but it's going to take me quite a while to read all the relevant books on my shelves. It doesn't help that I can't resist buying new books on the subject either. A case in point, I just received the book on the top of the stack, Land Girl: A Manual for Volunteers in the Women's Land Army 1941, in the mail.

While I continue to read and research, I want to keep writing WWII stories for my blog so I'm going to have to be more systematic about this. That means writing lists and outlines of the family members I am following up on so that I don't miss any interesting stories along the way. Some people are natural outliners. I'm not one of those. I do like writing timelines, however. Maybe timelines of the families I'm following might throw up some useful hints of where to find those stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment