Saturday 27 February 2021

A Sunday in Salt Lake City

 

                                                       The Entrance to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City

At the time I didn't know it would be the last research trip I would take for a while. I had used a travel agent to book my flights in and out of Salt Lake City. Not until later did I notice that my return flight was in the evening, on a Sunday. Surely there would be something open after I was kicked out of my hotel room. Checking online it appeared that stores were open on Sunday. All good. The Family History Library even had Sunday opening in the afternoon. I would be fine.

My hotel was right next to the Family History Library. Convenient during the week, but that Sunday I realized there was very little around it that was open. Even the restaurants I had visited during the week were closed. October in Salt Lake City always takes me by surprise. It just looks like it should be warmer than it is. It was cold visiting the historical sights which weren't behind closed doors.

I had envisioned a morning of shopping, a leisurely lunch and maybe a couple of hours at the Family History Library wrapping things up. I eventually found an open restaurant and one open store after a long walk. My research time increased. I was at the Family History Library shortly after it opened.

Extra research time is usually a boon. But only the main floor computers were open that Sunday. Not knowing what to expect, I hadn't really prepared. It remains to be seen if I gathered anything new as I finally take a look at the information I gathered that afternoon. My Chambers family was one I remember looking for. Will there be hidden treasure in the data I brought home? 

No comments:

Post a Comment