Saturday 26 September 2020

2020 Research realities

 

 My personal library often supplies the books for my research

Much of the research for this blog is done online but sometimes, especially when looking into historical background, nothing fits the bill like a book on the subject. Most of the time my personal library can supply that need. My research is usually in the UK, Canada or the US and I have a few books about the history of those areas. When it comes to books about Australian history, however, I'm going to have to rely on the library. At this time, it isn't a simple matter of browsing the library shelves to find a book that will have information about life in the country that William McKay and his family immigrated to. I have to wait for a notice that the book I've selected has been found and is waiting at the library for me.

It seems like I should know more about Australian history anyway. From the recent addition of new regions to the Ancestry Ethnicity Estimates for their DNA test, I have links to Australia that, so far, don't appear to include the McKay/Chubb families. Why did any of those other family matches end up in Australia? A history of the country and its peoples may help to explain that and may perhaps give me incentive to pursue these new Australian family links that Ancestry tells me I have that I didn't even know were missing from my UK families. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment