Saturday 18 April 2020

Off to Australia


It's wonderful to have mementos from the past but using them to find further information can be a challenge. Back when I started this blog, I began with the story of Harold Strange Chambers who had emigrated to Canada by himself. I wanted to understand why he was all alone. What had happened to the rest of the family he left back in England? It turned out that he was the last one his family left in the old country. All of his immediate family had died. No wonder he decided to leave.

He started a family of his own in Canada. His wife was a member of a large, close clan so he gained a family through her but that's not quite the same as having family of your own in the background. He must have been so happy to finally meet up with his own clan but it took a voyage to Australia for that to happen.

The family tree up above was one that he sent to his daughter while he and his wife were travelling around the world in 1955. It's a helpful start but I'm not expecting an easy time with the research. I've poked around a bit in some Australian online records but never got anywhere with them. This time I'm going to make an effort to do a methodical search and see what I can find and what clues are in the documents that I already have.

I recently attended the ISBGFH Commonwealth Conference's Australia Day and I'm hoping that what I learned there will be of some guidance. The webinar library at Legacy Family Tree Webinars also had a healthy selection on Australian research when I looked there. Hopefully this will help get me further than I was able to get before.

No comments:

Post a Comment