Saturday 10 August 2019

Keeping on Track with Genealogy Planning


Planning equipment from a simpler time - Nelson's desk on HMS Victory

Planning is also a tricky part of genealogical organization. It isn't only research planning, although, when I began my genealogical journey, that was the main part of it. Now it is more a matter of trying to schedule the research between genealogical writing and traveling. In fact, a lot of the research that I do now is related to the articles that I am preparing.

As I include historical information in my articles, the scope of my research has changed and I find myself doing a lot of historical research. Which would explain why I am frantically trying to finish skimming through The Dissenters: from the Reformation to the French Revolution before it is due back at the library. Somehow, it was hard to actually get to it in the nine weeks that I had it checked out. Perhaps if I had a daily plan of so much historical reading per day that wouldn't happen.

But who am I kidding? That sounds far too regimented and doesn't allow for those last minute crunch times when sprinting to meet deadlines. Deadlines are deadlines even if they are self-imposed. It also takes time away from learning, another thing that I struggle to keep up with.

There are just so many way to increase your genealogical knowledge these days. Webinars spring to mind. Some are generated by different genealogical societies. A good way to find out about the ones that are scheduled is through the blog, Genealogy a la Carte. Another good site is Legacy Family Tree Webinars where you can see webinars for free for a limited time or have access to their webinar library if you subscribe to their website. 

While writing this, I was reminded of the Virtual Genealogy Association who not only have webinars but have an online conference coming up in November. Sounds interesting. But before that, in September, there is the Canadian Genealogical Research Intensive put on by Kathryn Lake Hogan of Looking4Ancestors. There are more genealogical educational opportunities where you don't have to leave the comfort of your own home all the time. Webinars and online conferences are included in my plans but where do I find the time to fit in everything else? Some serious time planning is needed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment