Saturday 24 November 2018

A search for physical traces on London streets

1825 map showing the streets to be demolished to make way for the St Katherine Docks*

One of the best ways to gain an understanding of the people who have gone before us is to walk a mile in their shoes. Just getting the lie of the land can help to piece their story together. If the places where they lived are still standing, so much the better. The outsides of the buildings show what they came home to and there may even be a chance to look inside if the current residents agree.

I went on such a quest in the early 2000s. My hopes were high that the pub my grandparents had once run and raised their family in was still standing. But it was too late. The pub was gone, pulled down and another building erected in its place. But that is the problem with many cities including London, land is precious and progress often demands that it be repurposed. 

My visit did help to get a better idea of the East End street where the pub used to be and the proximity to the dock yard which probably provided the majority of their clientele although that dock yard no longer serves the great cargo ships as it once did. That day I couldn't get a closer look at what remained of St Katherine Docks because the London Marathon was running along Upper East Smithfield which was at the end of the street where the pub had once been. Maybe next time I should check an event calendar as well. 

Although a search for physical traces didn't yield much useful information for my ancestor search, I ended up with a better idea of the area. That will be of help when I try to reconstruct their lives and times through the written sources. 

 Dock Street, the Cable & Wireless building is where the pub used to stand

Image:

By St. Katharine Dock Company - Unknown, Public Domain,
 

2 comments:

  1. HI, I found your blog from the GeneaBloggersTRIBE email. I too have visited London and walked where I thought my ancestors may have walked. It's a great feeling. The tip about checking for events is a good idea. Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Fran. Sorry it took me a while to respond. I never even thought that part of the area I wanted to see would be closed off due to the London Marathon. I could easily have arranged to go there at a better time if I had checked.

      Delete