Saturday 9 June 2018

My Ontario Family History Hunt on the Ground


The OGS Conference

There's nothing like being in a room of fellow enthusiasts. The energy fills the room and it makes you want to get out there and make something out of your family history! The 2018 OGS Conference had lots of helpful classes, including one about blogging.

The blogging presenter said not to cut and paste from Word because of formatting problems. I always cut and pasted from Word without a problem, or so I thought until I saw what happened to the beginning quote on my last post. Hmm, maybe she has a point there.

It was hard to choose among the many presentations. All that I attended were full of useful tips and info but there were two that really stick out in my mind. The first was "What to Do When You Die", told with humour and plenty of food for thought. The second was a presentation on the Rural History Archive which is a wonderful resource of transcribed diaries from rural Ontario from people in all walks of life. You can even get in on the act and do some of the transcribing yourself.

It was fun to meet new family historians and be with my own tribe for a weekend. We all seemed to gravitate to the Marketplace at one time or another. I think there was a method in their madness when the organizers placed coffee and cookies there and gave us passports to be signed by every vendor for a draw. I confess to buying a few genealogy related items!




No comments:

Post a Comment