Sunday 29 October 2017

Bringing it home, part 3 – starting the conference



The reason, well excuse really, for my trip to Nova Scotia was to attend the [Great Canadian Genealogy Conference]. I had needed a reason to go back and the conference provided dates that I could work around. Besides, I wanted to check out what was heralded as a new concept in Canadian genealogy conferences, one that would move from one part of the country to another and involve  local experts. I was looking forward to hearing the presenters but the day before the conference as an option, a day at the Nova Scotia Public Archives was offered. 
 
 















I had been at the archives before and remembered my time there as being all too short. Perhaps I should have done more work in preparation because I didn’t find as much as I wanted to. The staff was very helpful with my main query about a death in Halifax but, unfortunately, the records just didn’t exist to confirm a death around 1881, as there are gaps in the records. I was able to fill in some omissions from my previous research but I now know that I need a good research plan and much, much more time to go through their records.  



After our time at the archives, the summit itself kicked off with a mini-buffet and a keynote speech by Jan Raska from the Canadian Museum of Immigration at Pier 21. He told us about the museum and touched upon major events in the Canadian immigration story. He was obviously knowledgeable about his subject and suggested that we follow the immigration museums blog to find out more. The passion of Joe Raska’s address promised a great caliber of speakers for the rest of the summit. 

The blog for the Canadian Immigration Museum can be found at https://www.pier21.ca/blog
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment